UK Registered Car Insurance
In general, a motor vehicle should be Insured in the Country of Registration, however, under EU Regulations, there are permissible exceptions to that rule.*
If you drive a British Registered Vehicle in Spain, firstly, it can only remain in Spain for a period of six (6) months, during which time you must ensure that the vehicle has a current MOT for the WHOLE period, that it has a Valid Road Licence** and lastly, that it carries Third Party Cover for use in Spain, a legal requirement.
* Under E.U. Regulations, you MAY take a Spanish Insurance on a UK Registered Vehicle on the following provisions.
- The Vehicle is a personal vehicle and it is not owned by a Company and is not a commercial vehicle.
- That the Vehicle is in a roadworthy condition, has a valid MOT and Road Fund Licence.
- That the Insurance Company has a Registered UK Office or Mutual Arrangement with a UK Registered Insurer.
- That the Company has the ability to and does diligently ensure that the Insured details are passed to the UK MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau) and UK Police Authorities.
** Since June 2014, the UK DVLA no longer issue a Road Fund Licence Disc and in the more Rural parts of the European Continent, this information has not filtered down to local police in some cases, therefore you should print your evidence of payment from the DVLA Website when renewing and carry it with your Registration Document, Certificate of Insurance and I.D.
To date, the ONLY Spanish Insurance Company I have found to comply with the UK and EU Regulations is Liberty Seguros. I have two (2) personal vehicles Insured with them via their Office on Mojacar Playa (English Spoken). Confirmation of this special ex-pat Insurance can be found at their Liberty Expatriates Page.
I choose to do this because of my personal circumstances and needs as follows;
- My business is based in and taxed in the UK
- My work takes me across numerous European Countries
- UK Insurance Companies do NOT always include European Driving Cover, may charge an extra Premium and Limit this cover to 60 or 90 Days.
- The Liberty Seguros Policy automatically covers ALL E.U. Member States and meets the Requirements of all E.U. Regulations.
- The Fully Comprehensive Policy was 1/3rd less expensive for the same UK Policy without European Cover.
Are you Insured?
It is possible to check if your vehicle is correctly recorded on the UK MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau) Website HERE.
Please note that this information is provided as a guide only and is accurate at the time of print. Legislation can and does get changed or modified frequently, therefore Definitive information should be obtained from the Spanish authorities. For any of these processes, you may find it helpful to employ a gestor.